Holiday fun is incomplete unless we capture each moment spent in beautiful landscapes, coral reefs and palm lined beaches and post them on social media or share with friends or family. Now take more pride in boasting your beautiful trip and making your friends jealous buy sharing these clicks with them without worrying about the data plan and roaming expenses, as we are here with a whole section to guide you on How to Choose Best SIM Card in Fiji for Foreign Tourists.
Now you can easily cut on your expense on roaming bills and data plans by buying a local Mobile SIM Card in Fiji. Buying a local sim card makes more sense in Fiji rather than using your home sim card as you get better coverage and services at comparatively low price. Basically there are two prominent mobile networks in Fiji: Digicel and Vodafone. Both have a lot of cost effective plans for foreign tourists. Both the mobile networks have good coverage all over the island. Keep reading further for choosing Best Prepaid International SIM card for Fiji as per your suitability.
Is Your Smartphone Compatible With a SIM Card in Fiji?
Before buying any sim card you need to make sure that your smart phone is compatible with Mobile networks of Fiji. If you are using your home phone in Fiji make sure you carry the appropriate travel adapter. Keep following in consideration while using your smart phone:
- Your smart phone is capable of operating on a frequency of 900 MHz.
- Your smart phone is GSM dual-ban or tri-band phone.
Pay-As-You-Go Charges Per Minute in Fiji
Pay- As-You-Go is the prepaid option which is best suited to people who are not sure of their data usage or who are planning to keep their usage to minimum or may be none until and unless there is some emergency. You can choose the Best Prepaid International SIM card for Fiji and keep topping it up as and when required.
Here you will be charged at each minute per call, each text message and each MB of data usage. Below we are mentioning the rates and packages offered by both the mobile networks for Pay-As-You-Go Mobile SIM Card in Fiji:
Pay -As-You-Go Rates of Vodafone Fiji:
Vodafone Fiji has a flat rate for voice call for peak hours from 7 am to 5 pm and non peak hours from 5 pm to 7 am.
- Charges for Texts messages to Fiji & International numbers@ 18c per text.
- Charges for calls to Vodafone numbers @20c/17c per 30 secs
Charges for calls to Landlines @23c/20c per 30 secs
Charges for calls to Digicel numbers @24c/21c per 30 secs
- Charges for mobile internet browsing @FJ$2.79 per MB
- Charges for Picture Messages to Fiji & International numbers @30c per MMS.
There are no charges for accessing Vlive or the Vodafone Fiji website.
Pay-As-You-Go Rates of Digicel Fiji:
- Charges for calls to Fiji (mobile and landline) numbers@ 24c per 30 secs
- Charges for calls to International numbers@ 42c-FJ$2.85 per minute
- Charges for text messages to Digicel numbers@ 14c/ text
- Charges for text messages to Vodafone numbers@ 20c/ text
- Charges for text messages to International numbers@ 25c/ text
- Charges for text messages to Satellite Phones:@FJ$1.90/ text
- Charges for mobile internet browsing@ 21c per MB
- Charges for Picture Messages to Fiji & International numbers@ 30c per MMS.
Fiji SIM Card Data Package
Wondering How to Choose Best SIM Card in Fiji for Foreign Tourists? If your internet usage is going to be high you can go for local Fiji sim card with Data Bundles. Both the data bundles from Vodafone and Digicel offers free access to main Social Media networks, thus you can save a lot on sharing your photographs on these sites.
The Data Bundles can be easily activated by dialing *555# where you will be asked to choose a selection of Data Bundle. You can also access Digicel Data Bundles through My Digicel App. Below is a list of Data Bundles charges offered by Digicel and Vodafone:
Data Bundles by Digicel Fiji
Charges go like this:
- 24-Hour Bundles with Daily 2GB Data @ FJ$2
& 3GB Data @ FJ$3
- 3-Day Bundle with 4GB Data @ FJ$4
- 7-Day Bundle with 7GB Data @ FJ$7
- 10-Day Bundle with 10GB Data @ FJ$10
- 15-Day Bundle with 15GB Data @ FJ$15
- 30-Day Bundle with 25GB @ FJ$25.
There is happy relief for you that all above mentioned bundles allow free accessing to Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, WhatsApp and Viber. Calls and text messages to same service provider number i.e. Digicel comes free with these Data Bundles.
Data Bundles by Vodafone Fiji
Charges go like this:
- 24-Hour Bundles:
With Daily Pass 1GB @ FJ$1.99
With Daily Promo 2GB @ FJ$2.99
With Daily Plus 3GB @ FJ$3.99
- 7-Day Bundles:
With Weekly Pass 3GB @ FJ$6.99
With Weekly Plus 4.5GB @ FJ$7.99
With Weekly Mega 11GB @ FJ$11
- 15 Day Bundles:
For Tourist Starter Pack 8GB @ FJ$65
And Giga 25 25GB @ FJ$25
- 30-Day Bundles:
With Monthly Plus 20GB @ FJ$35
And Giga 50 50GB @ FJ$50.
There are no charges for accessing Vlive and Vodafone Fiji website. Enjoy free accessing to most of the social media like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram and Wikipedia.
Mobile Plans for Only for Calls and Texts Messages in Fiji
There is limited number of phone plans for calls and texts available in Fiji. Here is a list of following phone plans for those whose usage for calls and text messages are high.
Call and Text Bundles by Digicel:
- Unlimited calls to a Digicel number for 24 Hours @FJ$1.89
- 3 Days 500 texts package @ FJ$1.40
Call and Text Bundles by Vodafone:
Tourist Starter Packs-
- 15 Days of free SIM card with 35 texts , $25 Recharge Card, 35 minutes calls to Vodafone numbers and 35MB of data @FJ$35
- 15 Days of free SIM card with 60 texts, $50 Recharge Card, 60 minutes calls to Vodafone numbers and 60MB of data @FJ$70
- 15 Days of free SIM card with 90 texts, $75 Recharge Card, 90 minutes calls to Vodafone numbers and 90MB of data @FJ$100
How to Select Best Mobile Operator for Good Coverage in Fiji
Both the mobile networks: Vodafone and Digicel have good coverage in Fiji Island. Still thinking on how to buy International SIM card for foreign tourists in Fiji to avail Vodafone services. Allow us to help you, if you are in Yasawa Islands or around Vanua Levu, you should choose Vodafone mobile network, as it provides stronger coverage in these areas.
Read Interesting Article Also: Best Ways to Save Money When You Travel in Fiji
Now we come to where to buy mobile SIM in Fiji for foreign tourists to avail Digicel Services. Digicel services provide strong network coverage around parts of inland Viti Levu so you should buy Digicel sim card if you are in those areas.
One last quick tip for you, you will find that 4G services are only limited to main towns and cities. You should choose Vodafone if you want to use 4G as it provides extensive 4G mobile
Can I use my cell phone in Fiji?
Throughout the majority of the Mamanuca Islands and much of the Yasawa Islands there is 3G coverage so yes, most the time your mobile phone will work.
How do I register my Vodafone SIM in Fiji?
Fijians who are not already Vodafone customers, the process is very simple. They can pick up a free Vodafone SIM at the nearest Vodafone outlet or roadshow location. They will need to register their new mobile number, activate M-PAiSA and keep their mobile accounts active to access the services.”